|Squeezing pain in the left chest
|Listed : [2001-07-16, 05:11:53]
During sleep or even during a normal daily activity, one can experience a sudden
squeezing pain in the left chest along with perspiration and difficulty in breathing.
These symptoms can be caused by an abnormality in coronary arteries around the
heart. This is called angina pectoris. Oriental medicine first aid can help the
patient overcome the initial life-threatening moment.
It is important that the patient be seen by a specialist immediately upon recovery
of the initial attack of angina pectoris.
The heart functions as a pump supplying blood to all parts of the body. The heart,
like other organs in our body, requires a blood supply in order for it to function.
Heart arteries or coronary arteries carry oxygen and nutrients around heart muscles.
If these arteries become blocked or become narrow due to spasm, the blood supply,
which provides oxygen and nutrients to the coronary muscles, decreases. Symptoms
arising from lack of blood supply to the heart are called angina pectoris. In
many cases, angina pectoris is caused by hardening of coronary arteries.
A few minutes before angina pectoris attacks, there can be signs of prodrome.
· Sensation of compression in the left chest around the heart
· Loss of strength of left shoulder and arm
· Abnormal sensation in the left shoulder and arm
· Loss of strength in extremities
However, it could attack without any sign of prodrome:
· Sudden sensation of excruciating pain under the left nipple.
· This pain is described as squeezing or pricking with a needle.
· The pain is so severe that the victim fears for death.
· The pain radiates from the heart to left chest, shoulder, elbow and arm.
· Pale complexion, cold sweating, yawning, vomiting.
· Weak and irregular pulse without breathing difficulty.
D. First aid
calm the patient.
· Acupuncture points: Hand Twelve Jing-Well point, P-9 (Zhongchong), H-9
· Method: Insert needle 2-3mm into the point to draw blood.
· If the symptom continues
puncture Foot Twelve Jing-Well point.
· Lay the patient down and place a moist hot towel on the left chest. Mustard
hot pack is also beneficial. The patient should be seen by a specialist upon recovery
due to a high risk of myocardial infarction.